Skip to main content

App'ed programming

So I've built some cools stuff as a software engineer - applications with voice response, telephony and vision technology, web applications and GUI front-ends for medical devices. But I've had conversations outside of work where I've told people that I make software for a living and they excitedly say "Oh! Are you an App developer?" and then display the littlest bit of disappointment when I tell them I develop software for medical products- "oh well, that's nice too".

So in my efforts to make it into the big time, I'm delving into the world of apps. I recently became the proud owner of a Nexus 7 - since I'm way too cheap to pay for a Smartphone. This will, of course, affect my choice of platforms for my app. And as every designer, business analyst and marketer would point out, the platform doesn't matter. What you build is what matters. What problem gets solved, what human needs get fulfilled, what "niche gets scratched"? That's the key.

So, what to make? I've always got ideas, but I'd like something tractable, smallish, which will let me explore lot's of client-side tools and techniques and yes, which has some small kernel of need associated with it. And that I can run on my Nexus - and feel oh-so-cool!

Speaking of cool, my son has raced go-karts for the last 8 years. We've traveled around the northeast U.S. to races weekend after weekend and learned a lot in the process. And had some fun. And some success. And some disappointment.

It turns out, that even though a go kart looks simple, there are a lot of variables to play with to make them faster. Keeping track of all these variables is kind of a pain. Tire pressures, alignment, weight distribution and track width, just to name a few. Lot's of notes on paper and after awhile you develop setup sheets on paper to help organize your measurements and settings. But there's no easy way to search these notes, sort them, and all in all, they aren't as helpful as they could be.

I'm sure you know where I'm going with this. I want software to do this for me. I want it to be available on a smartphone, tablet or laptop because I might be home or at the track when I'm using it. It needs to work offline and online.

So, that's the direction I'm heading in. I think I've decided to do it with HTML5 - that can meet most of the criteria I've mentioned so far - multiplatform, online and offline - and it's all the technology I want to become expert in. Let's call it Winning Setups for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Files as UI

Files as UI vs API  -  compares attributes of iCloud vs Dropbox. It starts on an interesting note - the model of a file system in the UI is dying, and should be let go. Beyond that it looks at mappings of each system to a file system from an API point of view and compares the successes of each. I find the initial thread the most interesting. Drop the mental model of a file system - which maps virtual concepts of files and directories to a physical model of papers, folders and file cabinets - and replace it with...what? This is a paradigm shift for me. I have to admit, I loath, hate, nay, despise looking for things. If I can't find something easily, it's only about a minute before I start growling and muttering things my mother would disapprove of. On this basis, I like the idea that I can save myself from thinking about where to put things or, where I have already put them. But how do we do this? It's non-trivial, since humans think of "things" and once they ...

Let's Not Mess Around with Security on our Personal Systems Either!

Essential Security Practices for Your Personal Systems Ensuring a minimal level of cybersecurity, privacy, and availability on your personal systems means you need to manage the following essential practices. This is a brief overview of recommendations from sources like CISA, NSA, etc., focused on personal laptop, phone, and other systems' security. Anti-virus  I've found you'll get the best anti-virus protection and usability from a paid product - I've always had good luck with Norton labeled products. If you are looking for current vendor offerings see:  https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-antivirus-protection Regardless of whether you choose to use a commercial product or open-source anti-virus tool, it is absolutely something you need to use. This is the minimally needed level of system security. Once installed, ideally, it should be invisible until there's a security problem it can't prevent or solve.   Backups You need to have at least a minimal level of ...

It's all broken...

So, Scott Hanselman struck a chord again:  Everything's broken and nobody's upset . The worst part is I can see that I'm part of the problem on both sides . I've excused many problems with software - shrugging as I restart the software or reboot. I save my anger for those occasions where I fell I've lost serious work and substantial time. Other than that I accept problems, glitches, crashes as "the cost of doing business". I believe it's actually because I've amused myself and earned a living creating software, that I am able to accept what's often pitiable quality. I've spent time working on systems that are not much more than breadboards with wires cascading from it, where getting something, anything to work was a huge accomplishment. But that was then and this is now. No way would I put up with a car that suffers from numerous small problems as today's software can. And putting these two thoughts together, it's now frightening ...