Skip to main content

Back to (new) Basics

To maintain secure computer systems, in the past the basics have been tasks like keep systems updated, run anti-virus software, use a properly configured firewall,use a filtering proxy for access to the internet.

The advice on basics has been mechanistic in the past - make the machinery protect itself was the ideal and most hoped-for outcome.

The new Basics include the old things and add:

  • Establish a Security Culture
  • Maintain Good Computer Habits 
  • Plan for the Unexpected
  • Control Access to Protected Health Information

(from Top 10 Tips for Cybersecurity in Health Care)

What's interesting about the new Basics is the additional items all have something in common: People. Each item focuses on how people interact with the systems, what they should expect and look for in terms of benefits, risks and dangers, and the fact the use of computers and computerized machinery must always remember the human elements for mistake, misuse and out-right abuse.

Why Is Cybersecurity So Hard? puts it succinctly, attributing it to three reasons. The first reason is that which is being recognized more broadly now: It's not just a technical problem.  Harvard Business Review's The Best Cybersecurity Investment You Can Make Is Better Training documents the problem. The Small Business Administration is gearing up to help in the effort to train small and medium sized businesses and  the AHA is making efforts at training from the top-down and this includes training on and in governance efforts.

It's people that are trying to defeat security, it will come down to people promoting security - as the new Best Practices warrant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Files as UI

Files as UI vs API  -  compares attributes of iCloud vs Dropbox. It starts on an interesting note - the model of a file system in the UI is dying, and should be let go. Beyond that it looks at mappings of each system to a file system from an API point of view and compares the successes of each. I find the initial thread the most interesting. Drop the mental model of a file system - which maps virtual concepts of files and directories to a physical model of papers, folders and file cabinets - and replace it with...what? This is a paradigm shift for me. I have to admit, I loath, hate, nay, despise looking for things. If I can't find something easily, it's only about a minute before I start growling and muttering things my mother would disapprove of. On this basis, I like the idea that I can save myself from thinking about where to put things or, where I have already put them. But how do we do this? It's non-trivial, since humans think of "things" and once they ...

Let's Not Mess Around with Security on our Personal Systems Either!

Essential Security Practices for Your Personal Systems Ensuring a minimal level of cybersecurity, privacy, and availability on your personal systems means you need to manage the following essential practices. This is a brief overview of recommendations from sources like CISA, NSA, etc., focused on personal laptop, phone, and other systems' security. Anti-virus  I've found you'll get the best anti-virus protection and usability from a paid product - I've always had good luck with Norton labeled products. If you are looking for current vendor offerings see:  https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-antivirus-protection Regardless of whether you choose to use a commercial product or open-source anti-virus tool, it is absolutely something you need to use. This is the minimally needed level of system security. Once installed, ideally, it should be invisible until there's a security problem it can't prevent or solve.   Backups You need to have at least a minimal level of ...

It's all broken...

So, Scott Hanselman struck a chord again:  Everything's broken and nobody's upset . The worst part is I can see that I'm part of the problem on both sides . I've excused many problems with software - shrugging as I restart the software or reboot. I save my anger for those occasions where I fell I've lost serious work and substantial time. Other than that I accept problems, glitches, crashes as "the cost of doing business". I believe it's actually because I've amused myself and earned a living creating software, that I am able to accept what's often pitiable quality. I've spent time working on systems that are not much more than breadboards with wires cascading from it, where getting something, anything to work was a huge accomplishment. But that was then and this is now. No way would I put up with a car that suffers from numerous small problems as today's software can. And putting these two thoughts together, it's now frightening ...