Skip to main content

Let's Not Mess Around with Security on our Personal Systems Either!

Essential Security Practices for Your Personal Systems

Ensuring a minimal level of cybersecurity, privacy, and availability on your personal systems means you need to manage the following essential practices. This is a brief overview of recommendations from sources like CISA, NSA, etc., focused on personal laptop, phone, and other systems' security.

Anti-virus 

I've found you'll get the best anti-virus protection and usability from a paid product - I've always had good luck with Norton labeled products. If you are looking for current vendor offerings see: https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-antivirus-protection

Regardless of whether you choose to use a commercial product or open-source anti-virus tool, it is absolutely something you need to use. This is the minimally needed level of system security. Once installed, ideally, it should be invisible until there's a security problem it can't prevent or solve.

 Backups

You need to have at least a minimal level of backup of the files you care about on your systems. This protects your work and information from errors, system problems and crashes, as well as mitigating any cybersecurity concerns such as malevolent ransomware or other data exfiltration.

Personally I dislike managing 
and performing backups. I understand it can be a time consuming and easy to forget aspect of personal systems management. It's also one of the most easily automated aspects of system management. I've used BackBlaze (https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-storage/solutions/backup-and-archive) for the last decade, due to its combination of price and capability.  Some options are listed and reviewed here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/407149/online-cloud-backup-services-carbonite-idrive-backblaze-livedrive.html. This is not any form of endorsement and you should seek out the particular tool that meets your needs in-terms of price, convenience and ease of use.

 If you have more than a single form of backup, that is ideal - often an onsite backup to a physically connected USB drive is a low-impact backup that you can usually automate on a schedule easily.

Storage

For most systems to operate at an acceptable level of responsiveness, you need to pay attention to the amount of storage space you have available. On most systems, particularly Windows, you want at least 20% available space. Before jumping up and defending a different amount, just note this is simply a heuristic I've used and found workable. More available space is always going work better, because the less you have to think about it, the better.

Users

If you have multiple logins on your system (such as a laptop), are they all active? If not, you can save space and improve security by removing unused users on your laptop. 

For the numerous other systems you use (such as Facebook, LinkedIn, IRS.gov, Reddit, Instagram, etc., etc., etc.), and which you have login credentials for, do you use a Password Management tool? This area is my weakness, I have many logins that I rely on memory for, and I know they are less complex than needed as a result. The solution for a situation like this, including the frustrations of getting locked out when you forget a login, is a password manager like those described here: https://www.pcworld.com/article/394076/best-free-password-managers.html

Privacy

Consider the number and breadth of all your logins and think about the overall 'informational footprint' you have. This can be a window into your life for hackers to peek through and provides more entry points into your identity that can be misused. You can reduce this risk, by taking a look into scrubbing your information from across the interwebs using a service, which might even integrate with other tools you are already using such as your antivirus - see this for more ideas: https://www.zdnet.com/article/best-data-removal-services/ . 

Ideally, you should ensure accounts you don't use anymore are closed and deleted as a standard practice. 

This is integral to the overall handling of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) which is best to minimize (US Federal Trade Commission - protect PII) and important to protect. For instance there are few good reasons to give your Social Security Number (SSN) to anyone or any service that you don't have a direct relationship with. Often, it is sufficient to provide only the last four digits of your SSN until you have had a chance to verify the organization you are giving this information to and vice-versa. If you do give this identifier away (SSN), feel free to ask (or otherwise investigate) how it will be used, how long it will be retained, and how it and associated information will be disposed of.

Whenever you give out your PII (particularly SSN, birthdate, credit card numbers, license number, address... you get the idea):  Remember it's YOUR information, it's your right and responsibility to know how and why it will be used.

Software Auditing

When you are exceedingly bored and looking for something to do, or when you are installing new software, or when an OS update as been forced upon you and is causing you to reboot, think about these two (2) things:

1- Versioning and Updating:

Are you keeping up with the latest versions of the software you use, particularly key applications like your operating system (OS), word processing, browsers, etc.? Save yourself trouble and set them up for automatic updates - often you get a free service for updates for security and bug fixes from the vendor. This can be really important: https://www.cisa.gov/secure-our-world/update-software. 

It is assumed, that at a bare minimum you are using Windows Update or whatever automatic update system your OS uses to facilitate automatic, unattended updates on a frequent schedule. If this isn't turned on, stop reading and enable it now... Good. Now that we are sure that's set, we can continue.

2- Excess Software:

If you are like me, sometimes you find software that meets a one-time need or that simply sounds interesting and you try it by installing it. A professional technique for managing security risks is to keep up-to-date on the inventory of software your system has on it. Know what is installed on your computer and get rid of older, unused programs. Make sure all the software you use is the latest, newest, version - because it should be safest - the makers of it closed should have any serious vulnerabilities they know about. 

Without any specialized tools you can easily run a quick manual scan to check versions using the "Settings" app for windows (within the "Apps & Features" app) that does a competent job of  allowing you to see the versions of installed windows software. In addition, there are many open source tools for this which I will discuss in follow-up posts. Professional tools for getting this information include https://snipeitapp.com/ and GLPI (which can be a lot, though with a very full range of capabilities).

In short, if you don't need it, get rid of it. And now that's done - right? So we can continue.

Since this was meant to be a minimal list, it's time to finish. There are many other aspects of personal systems security to think about (for instance if your phone has a password lock and screen timeouts, they should be enabled) but this covers some items I've seen overlooked and that are crucial as a basic level of security. Ideally, you'll review your systems and find these items are taken care of, and if not you are alert to things you really should attend to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Files as UI

Files as UI vs API  -  compares attributes of iCloud vs Dropbox. It starts on an interesting note - the model of a file system in the UI is dying, and should be let go. Beyond that it looks at mappings of each system to a file system from an API point of view and compares the successes of each. I find the initial thread the most interesting. Drop the mental model of a file system - which maps virtual concepts of files and directories to a physical model of papers, folders and file cabinets - and replace it with...what? This is a paradigm shift for me. I have to admit, I loath, hate, nay, despise looking for things. If I can't find something easily, it's only about a minute before I start growling and muttering things my mother would disapprove of. On this basis, I like the idea that I can save myself from thinking about where to put things or, where I have already put them. But how do we do this? It's non-trivial, since humans think of "things" and once they ...

It's all broken...

So, Scott Hanselman struck a chord again:  Everything's broken and nobody's upset . The worst part is I can see that I'm part of the problem on both sides . I've excused many problems with software - shrugging as I restart the software or reboot. I save my anger for those occasions where I fell I've lost serious work and substantial time. Other than that I accept problems, glitches, crashes as "the cost of doing business". I believe it's actually because I've amused myself and earned a living creating software, that I am able to accept what's often pitiable quality. I've spent time working on systems that are not much more than breadboards with wires cascading from it, where getting something, anything to work was a huge accomplishment. But that was then and this is now. No way would I put up with a car that suffers from numerous small problems as today's software can. And putting these two thoughts together, it's now frightening ...